In today’s era of increasing financial product diversification, branded credit cards associated with specific companies have become a common sight. Among these, a relatively unexplored niche is the automobile manufacturer credit cards, offering an array of incentives designed to attract loyal customers. In this article, we will compare and contrast three prominent automobile credit cards – General Motors, Ford, and Toyota – to help potential customers identify the best fit for their needs.
My GM Rewards® Mastercard®
General Motors, a leading player in the auto industry, offers the My GM Rewards® Mastercard® to its customers. The selling point of the My GM Rewards Card is the earnings structure. These earnings aren’t cash back, but rather a discount on the purchase or lease of a new GM vehicle. The accumulated earnings can significantly reduce the final price of a new GM vehicle, making it an attractive offer for GM brand loyalists.
The card does not carry an annual fee and offers flexible redemption options. However, there are restrictions – the earnings can only be used at GM dealerships and cannot be redeemed for cash or other rewards. This means the card has limited value for those not planning on purchasing or leasing a GM vehicle in the near future.
- 15,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on the My GM Rewards® Mastercard® in the first 3 months.
- 0% Intro APR for the first 12 months†; thereafter variable APRs range from 19.99% to 29.99%.
- 4 points for every $1 spent using the card, anywhere, everyday.
- 7 total points for every $1 spent on paid GM Certified Service, GM Genuine Parts and ACDelco Parts, eligible accessories, and most OnStar® and Connected Services plans.
- Cardmembers can redeem unlimited points toward an eligible, new GM vehicle purchase or lease
- Redeem your points toward paid GM Certified Service, GM Genuine Parts and ACDelco Parts, eligible Accessories, most OnStar and Connected Services plans, GM Financial and Protection Plans, and SiriusXM®.
- Redeem up to $1,000 toward the purchase of a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.
- Gold and Platinum Cardmembers can redeem up to $250 per calendar year on gift cards from a variety of eligible merchants, stores, restaurants and more, at a 1% redemption rate.
FordPass® Rewards Visa® Card
Ford’s credit card, the FordPass Rewards Visa Card, has taken a similar path, offering rewards that directly impact the cost of owning a Ford vehicle. The points accumulated can be used for discounts on service, parts, and new Ford vehicle purchases at the dealerships.
However, unlike the GM Card, FordPass Rewards also allows redemption of points for Ford merchandise and experiences. The FordPass Rewards Visa Card does not have an annual fee but comes with a substantial interest rate of 22.95%, so cardholders would need to manage their balances effectively.
0% Intro APR for 6 billing cycles from the date of purchase on Ford Dealership Purchases over $499.
- 5% Back in Points on Ford Dealership Purchases
- 3% Back in Points on gas, auto insurance, tolls, parking and dining
- 1% Back in Points on all other purchases
- 10% Back in Points on Ford Service
- 5% Back in Points on Ford Dealership Purchases
- plus 5% Back in Points with FordPass® Rewards
Toyota Rewards Visa® Card
Toyota’s Rewards Visa Card, meanwhile, presents a slightly different incentive model. Points earned can be redeemed for service, parts, accessories, or even the cash price of a new Toyota vehicle.
This card also doesn’t carry an annual fee and offers a lower interest rate compared to the FordPass card, making it more attractive for those who may carry a balance from month to month. However, like the other cards, its utility is somewhat limited for those who don’t plan to stick with the Toyota brand for their next vehicle purchase or lease.
- 5 points per $1 spent on purchases with your Toyota Rewards Visa Credit Card at Toyota dealerships.
- 2 points per $1 spent on purchases with your Toyota Rewards Visa Credit Card for gas, dining and entertainment.
- 1 point per $1 spent on purchases with your Toyota Rewards Visa Credit Card everywhere else Visa is accepted.
- Redeem points on service, parts, accessories, eligible Toyota vehicle purchases and more.
Wrapping It Up
In essence, automobile manufacturer credit cards offer attractive rewards for brand loyalists. Those who are sure about their future vehicle purchase or lease from a specific manufacturer can accumulate significant discounts over time. However, the lack of flexibility in redemption options and the inability to convert these rewards into cash or non-automotive-related rewards limit their appeal to a broader audience.
As with any credit card, potential cardholders should consider their spending habits, brand loyalty, and financial management skills before choosing a card. Always remember, the flashy rewards are only valuable if the card aligns with your lifestyle and financial goals.
AutoByPayment.com offers accurate estimates of new and used car loan payments based on self-selected credit score, current rebates, down payment, and trade equity or negative equity, without customers having to provide their personal identifying information such as email and phone.